Sunday, June 27, 2004

Zen

Meet Zen, my betta... Zen was a rescue...hahaha Yep, for real. Our warrants officer served (arrested) this chick (then "fish's" owner), and Zen came to the station in a nasty little vase with a plant stuck in it. Well, we cleaned out the vase and set him up...the water kept turning and he would just lay on the rocks. I was out sick for a couple of days, and one of the dispatchers called and told me my fish would probably be 10-89 (dead) when I came back. I went and bought him a little aquarium with an aerator, turns out he was getting no oxygen in his little vase...now he is sooooo happy in his little condo (he surfs in the bubbles hehehe). He will come to the front of the tank and beg anytime someone walks in, and he sits and watches us dispatch...and he provides us with a calming effect---everyone should have an animal in the workplace...even if it is just a couple inches long and lives in water. He really lives up to his name.....that job can be very stressful, and he gives much needed "time-outs" during the shift...sounds nuts, I know, but it's true! I love him!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo! And an intriguing story to go with it.

Anonymous said...

That's quite the metaphor for your job, isn't it. Sometimes all it takes is a breath of fresh air to bring out the best in all of us.
On a side note, why don't we all use the same 10 codes? Nearly every agency around here uses different versions. It makes inter-agency work a total clusterf---, and I know it irritates the Dispatchers.

Anonymous said...

I love this entry!!! Thankyou for the big smile I'm wearing right now!!! : )

Anonymous said...

Betta's are gorgeous!  Great picture!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely fish!!! Everyone needs a little ZEN from time to time.
Heather~

Anonymous said...

Zen is so handsome!..what a fish!

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Love Bettas.... at my old school I cleaned the bowls for all the teachers and administrators that had them. Great entry! judi

Anonymous said...

That is a nice story about your Zen fish.  I wish I had videos of dolphins and fish to relax by.

Anonymous said...

Our betta just recently passed on to fishie heaven :(
They are so relaxing!