Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Stormy Trip to the Mount

  

Today was a beautiful day...and my last day off...so I decided to ride up to Mount Cheaha and chill out with nature and the camera. This was the view at the bottom of the mountain...gorgeous, serene, very relaxing...  Then I got to the summit, and...

 

 

the storm was coming in from the southwestern part of the state, and when I got to the spot where the view is usually breathtaking and I was ready to snap a few photos of the spread from the highest point in Alabama---this is the scene I arrived on. Clouds, beginning wind, and sprinkling rain.

 

 

 

 

I decided it would be smart to drive back down, as Mount Cheaha is usually what keeps the tornadoes from actually hitting my peaceful little burg on the backside valley...because it takes the brunt of the storm and breaks it up. The wind and rain were horrid...there was debris everywhere. Of course, being the storm freak that I am, I was loving every minute...

 

 

 

 

These flags were wrapped around the pole and flapping so hard that I thought they would let loose at any minute...they stood straight out and twisted and turned the whole time I was there...I could barely hold the car door open while I was standing there. The wind had to be blowing at least 40-50 mph, my car was bouncing around while I was sitting in the parking lot because of the wind blowing underneath and around it.

 

 

I got back down to my little neighborhood level, and there was debris everywhere...trees down, branches and leaves strewn across the roads...it was a pretty strong thunderstorm, but that's all it was---there were no tornadoes. Coulda fooled me...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story & great photos! My Favorite is the first one. I love how everything is reflected in the water! : )

Anonymous said...

wow that was some storm you had! Great pics :)

Anonymous said...

Such a peaceful picture, however looks kinda scary to me...your too brave...lol

Anonymous said...

oooooooooo, scary....beautiful!....

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Wow!  The pictures are fantastic!   I knew it got pretty bad in your neck of the woods!  It didnt do much of anything up this way,  only rained really hard.  The wind blew a bit too...but not too badly.
We are missing a dog now though.  Our little Frodo is gone.  Scarlett and I went out looking for him last night, but couldnt find him.  I hope he makes his way home today...poor guy.  He is so afraid of storms.
Lovish!
Conz

Anonymous said...

the first pic is absolutly beautiful!!!! aaaawwwweee I need some of that kind of nature aound me, how peaceful just alone with nature and your thoughts.
The pics are so good, Love the flag posters you really captured the wind... Great photos!!!!
Heather~

Anonymous said...

Looks a bit like my sky this past week. Like the shot of the wind whipping the flags.