Saturday, September 4, 2004

Quiet Cove

I need this photo tonight. it is peaceful and serene. it is the reservior runoff from the mountainous areas around my house, and feeds the main reservior by a series of overflow waterfalls. very pretty.

It has been a long, hard night for a multitude of people. my night consisted of staring at a computer generated radio transmitter...and waiting. my night was peaceful and safe compared to the members of the special response team who tried hour after hour to negotiate with a man who had nothing to negotiate for... this man who committed a rape and auto theft, then a double homicide, and then kidnapped a child (Jordan, 14) from the homicide scene. the homicide victims were Jordan's mother and stepfather, shot point blank in front of her. the officers are totally exhausted after the 23+ hour stand-off that finally ended with the suspect's self-inflicted gunshot to the head. this was a first in dispatch for me, and i never want a second. it could have ended much worse. he released Jordan about 3 hours before the gunshot sounded. the gunfire took place behind a closed door with all the officers safely positioned on the other side. i am sad for this man's family, very sad. but yeah, it could've ended much worse.

Full story: Police Wait Out Oxford Abductor

Police Photo Credit: NBC13. Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Beautiful place. Even staring at computer and waiting, is hard on you. Hope you have time to kick back and relax today.         Deborah

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that was a stressful night!  The lake picture is gorgeous!

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Scarlett and I talked about this last night.  We figured you were working dispatch through all this.  I know it must have been horrible Christie.
I'm so glad Jordan was released.  Honestly, I thought he would kill her and then himself.  <sigh of relief>
So many horrible things have been going on lately.  All those poor people in Russia murdered by those terrorists...those two planes in Russia that were crashed by terrorist.  
It seems like the news is nothing good at all these days.
Much love, and hugs to you my friend.
Conz

Anonymous said...

CONZ: i did not work the whole thing, luckily. actually there were 4 shift changes during the stand-off. the dispatch staff stayed fresh....the officers didn't. only one SRT team trained for this kind of situation... my shift was crunch time. he let her go with about two hours left, and i stayed next shift until he did the deed. couldn't seem to leave.

Anonymous said...

(((Christie))) I'm sending you lots of positive thoughts. Hang in there sweety. ~Ann

Anonymous said...

Christie...
That is just so horrible...sorry you had to go through it.  And yes, that picture is absolutely calm and serene.  We need to balance out this crazy life in any ways that we can.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Wow, so much devastation all over.  I wouldn't even know how I would respond to something like this.  Especially if it hits so close to home.  I do see how the top picture is absolutely needed.  It's beautiful and calming.  Take time for you today.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Man I needed this pic tooo...that is beautiful..i really really wanna go there..and I always wanna say hey thats my favorite picture, but They are all my fav's but this one is way up there!!!!

Anonymous said...

I didn't hear anything about this standoff.  So sad.  The news generally depresses me and causes me to lose faith in humanity, so I tend to steer clear. Still.. when it seeps through.  What a disappointment.  :(

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everyone on your team is okay. I can't imagine having to sit at the other end and not being able to do something by listen. If your own won't tell you, I appreciate what you do.