Monday, July 5, 2004

Anadidae

I went to the local community lake today just to take in something other than home and work, and took a loaf of bread to feed the ducks. Usually, when you shake the bag, these guys will come from every corner...they will fly across the lake straight at your head (and you'd better look out, because a lot of the landings leave something to be desired...). Today, however, was different. Many of them stayed on their island in the middle. Strange. Must have been mistreated or traumatized by the crowd at the fireworks display the other night (record gathering, from what I hear). Anyway, this fellow is one of the elders...he will ALWAYS show up for a snack. Of course, he also always tells you off while he is gulping down your gift---as seen here. The elders hiss and shake their heads and tails at you, as if to say, "thanks for the bread, now get out." These guys, on the other hand:

are BRAND NEW. They come in droves. Nothing scares them. They move like a herd...throw bread this way, they all move in unison...throw it that way, everybody turns and goes...it's kinda like ducky water ballet...without the grace. It was fun...

This little fella was a ham....he got right up next to my feet and babbled at me. 'Scuse me, please...some bread? Can a duck get some bread down here?? He was like a dog...took it out of your hand, caught it in midair if you tossed it...very well trained by john q. public. He was cool though, stayed with me the whole time... His head is a little fuzzy...this comes from the constant bobbing while begging...oh yeah, he has it down.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are cool duck photos...fun...!!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!  And a great little tale about them to boot!
Loved it my friend, as always!
-Conz

Anonymous said...

ohhh so very cute....

Anonymous said...

oh, I especially love the 'ham'

Anonymous said...

I love feeding ducks, but start getting a little nervous when the Goose Gang starts moving in on the action....

Anonymous said...

how sweet! I haven't fed the ducks in a very long time!! Great photos I love the lil ham duck very cute
Heather~

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! These are the cutest duck photos!!!! : )

Anonymous said...

I have some great duck shots in my collection.  Never shared them, though.  We have a community lake in our new subdivision.  Elijah has already taken a snap to the nose, which he brags about constantly.  Who knew it was cool to get bitten by a duck???  LOL

Anonymous said...

awwww, I want 'em all!..specially da HAM!..too cute!!

E

Anonymous said...

What a strange head on the red colored one, I've never seen one like it.  Is that normal?   Cute shots, though.