Thursday, November 11, 2004

Veteran's Day

The soldier pictured above is not one of my photos.... I recieved it in an email and it touched me beyond belief. In honor of Veteran's Day, I decided to post this photo and all it represents.

Here is a photo of a soldier stationed on foreign soil---one big sandbox. He asked his wife to send him the soil, fertilizer, and some grass seeds so he could have the sweet aroma and feel the grass beneath his feet. If you notice, he is even cutting his grass with a pair of scissors. Sometimes we are in such a hurry that we don't stop and think about the little things that we may take for granted. This photo, and a call that we recieved last night, put this in perspective for me today. The call was for an officer to be dispatched to an address in our city with a message to give to a young soldier's mother---to get in touch with his seargent reference her son in Iraq (she did not have a phone). The news was not good. So today and all days, send up a prayer to the higher power that you choose for those on foreign soil giving (and giving up) so unselfishly for us, and for those who have fought wars before them in the same spirit. They have my utmost respect...my heart breaks for them.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good Christie..
Marianne

Anonymous said...

How beautiful...thank you so much for putting it on your site.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

what a sight...thank you for posting and reminding us of this day..we truly are so blessed..
this note and a picture brought tears to my eyes    I should never complain, but be grateful for everything and not take anything for granted....

Anonymous said...

this will be what I always remember about this Veteran's Day.
Marti

Anonymous said...

VERY touching photograph!  Thank you to our veterans, and to the current men and women who serve our country!

Monica
http://journals.aol.com/sonensmilinmon/SmilinMonsAdventures/

Anonymous said...

I have seen this before.  I tried to find something similiar to this to post, but I decided to post about my Grandpa, a veteran, instead!!!!

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Hugs Christie, this is a very touching entry.

Anonymous said...

I received this same photo, very moving indeed!

Anonymous said...

Wow.  I really have no words.
Conz

Anonymous said...

This one could make me cry. I have missed you, judi