Monday, May 31, 2004

Happy Memorial Day

Adi Ness Untitled, 2000 color photograph-- part of the "Soldier's Series"

The above photo is not my work, as you can see from the photo credit. I recently was led to a man's thoughtful journal through countless links. This journal belongs to Albert, and he featured one of this photographer's works therein. Enthralled by his entry, I looked up some of this man's work...wow. The soldier series really touched me, and the one above was my absolute favorite for many reasons.

This Memorial Day, since we are at war...one that I do not believe in...I decided to dedicate my thoughts as "Present Day Holiday" to those who are fighting and living in a foreign country, just so I can sit and type in my mundane journal and sleep like a baby in my nice climate-controlled house in a cushy queen-size bed without fear---those who won't be grilling today with their families or friends and hugging  and kissing and laughing with their loved ones. I will of course, be remembering my father, who was once one of those sleeping away from family and friends in an hostile place---his tribute was done a little earlier this weekend because he has been on my mind greatly---he was a great man. So, to all those out there who cannot be with loved ones this holiday, or those whose loved ones cannot be with them...my small contribution of thought goes out to you.

May all higher powers take care of you and your loved ones until you can be together again---safe and sound---laughing and loving. I will laugh, cry, and cheer with you on the day that you are all home---back where you belong. Godspeed.

Snippets of photos from the Veteran's War Memorial in my home town.

 

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gator: You have a beautiful journal and this was a beautiful, thoughtful entry. I'm very happy that through serendipity, you found the work of Adi Nes in one of my entries and used one of his images here--it's perfect!

I will go back & look at your older entries. From what I see so far, I really like your photographs, especially the rural landscapes.  So very different from what I see outside my door--that's what I love about reading at other peoples' journals!  
--Albert

Anonymous said...

This is a great entry!  I completely agree with your views, very well put. I love the photos from your home town!!! And the Adi Ness photo isn't to shabby either ; ).

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Great and moving entry! May God protect our troops and comfort the families of those there and those gone. Have a great day! God bless, Beckie

Anonymous said...

...gosh....moving entry.....have a beautiful holiday..

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Amazing picture. It says so much. I miss America today.
XOXO.....Kelli

Anonymous said...

Kelli and all- Yes, this picture says so much...one of the things that moved me so much about it was what was not seen...does this beautiful man catching a (I am sure very light) bit of sleep---backpack for a pillow---could be a cot, could be a counter he is laying on---what got me the most was his arm beside the bed. Because you know, in your truest of hearts, that he has a firearm at the end of that arm. It broke my heart...but what a beautiful picture! Thanks for all the wonderful comments!  Christie

Anonymous said...

He looks young enough to be my son Jesse, who was stillborne in 1988...this is a futile, stupid waste of life on both sides.  We need to bring our soldiers home.

Anonymous said...

Very moving entry and thanks for sharing that photo. Ness has a great eye for a tender moment.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous stuff.